Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Glen Onoco

Tunnel Entrance
Glen Onoco is tucked away in the outskirts of Jim Thorpe. In recent years new parking areas and the completion of new trails have opened this area up to tourists. In the summer, spring and fall this area on weekends is packed with those who want to get out and enjoy the outdoors. It can get really crowded. I waited until today to venture there myself because weekdays it is normally close to empty and I got what I expected. An entire section of the Lehigh Gorge State Park almost all to myself.
     The Glen as the locals call it has several features that attract the outdoor enthusiast, families on outings, train hobbyists and even historians. The highlights include a large out of commission railroad tunnel (like the tunnel at Rockport, but on a grander scale), the Lehigh River that meanders through this park, awe inspiring waterfalls and a nicely maintained trail for hikers and bikers witch extends throughout the gorge and will eventually run all the way to Easton when completed. For the historians and train buffs there is still an active rail that is use somewhat frequently and in an upcoming blog I will even tell you how you can take a ride on one of the passenger trains that still runs through the area.
     Today I arrived at the Glen a little after 11am and except for a couple cars the place was empty. I stopped at the entrance to the tunnel on my way in and if you decided to go it will be on the right hand side of the access road, easily missed if you are not looking for it. I walked through the tunnel and out to the edge. The view to me is great and so you can see it I have a video below. I then walked down to the river and headed to the falls trail. The picture below shows the warning for the trail and to most it is not an easy hike. The walk was peaceful and I did not go up to far, the falls I made it to are pictured below. For those interested there is a larger fall further up the trail that is about thirty feet high. I headed back to the parking area and still did not see anyone. It really was a nice change though, visiting the Glen without literally hundreds of people around. If you have a free weekday I would suggest checking this destination out. 


Falls Trail Warning.
Tunnel from Opposite Shore.
The Falls.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment